If you’re a parent of a picky eater, listen up! Brooklyn Based Kids’ is producing a fun-filled day of activities for parents AND kids at their new event – One More Bite, taking place Sunday, October 23rd, from 11 am – 3 pm.
At One More Bite, kids will be encouraged to try new foods and learn how good food is made. Local farmers, activists and entrepreneurs will offer healthy and delicious samples of their products, and lead kids of all ages in hands-on activities. As your kids learn about the food system, and try new flavors, they’ll also be seeking out stamps for the special passbook they’ll receive when you arrive, and win a treat of their choice from Ovenly, Barkthins or Pirasta at the end for their efforts.
Kids’ “stops” throughout the day include Pure Genius Provisions, McClure’s Pickles, Umi Kitchen, Cava Grill, True Made Foods, Tuckrbox, All Granola, Gotham Greens, Les Trois Petits Cochons and more for delicious samples, plus partners like:
- Annie Novak of Growing Chefs and Eagle Street Rooftop Farm, who will be leading a series of activities about Monarch butterflies and how they pollinate our favorite snacks
- City Growers, who will explore all the different parts of plants that we eat through art projects–from leaves to roots to flowers and fruits
- Pure Food Kids will ask kids to guess and measure the amount of sugar they think a processed food contains
Once kids have had their fill, they can do “food coloring” with Private Picassos. So come dressed for a (washable) mess!
And parents, don’t worry, there’s stuff for you to do too. There will be three great, drop-in talks for mealtime inspiration:
- 12pm: Finding the joy in family meals, with Kate Huling of Marlow Goods and a contributor to Dinner at the Long Table
- 1pm: Panel with nutritionists who are also parents, Samantha Rigoli, RD, and Aynsley Kirshenbaum, MS Human Nutrition, on what they do, and don’t eat at home (and how that’s probably different for everyone)
- 2pm: Tips on encouraging the pickiest of eaters to try new foods, with Andrea Kapner of Tiny Turnips Kitchen and Kate Homes of Carried Away Chefs
ADVANCE TICKETS ARE $5 PER ADULT AND ARE ON SALE HERE (KIDS ARE FREE!).
WHAT: ONE MORE BITE
WHEN: Sunday, October 23rd, 11 am – 3 pm
WHERE: The Green Building (452 Union Street, Brooklyn, NY)